- Provides leadership in the coordination and delivery of quality compassionate patient care.
- Utilizes the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation to provide, delegate, supervise and document care and teaching of patients and family.
- Effectively communicates with the health care team.
- Demonstrates clinical competence.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs physical assessment on patients as determined necessary and/or designated by a physician/physician extender.
- Examines wounds and reports status to physician/physician extenders.
- Recognizes significant and common abnormal laboratory results and changes in health status, and takes appropriate action. Communicates information to physician/physician extender.
- Performs rounds to evaluate patients.
- Performs assessment of:
- health habits (smoking, alcohol use, dietary, drugs);
- safety issues (safety of home, driving, seat belts);
- availability of support systems (family network, coping mechanisms);
- Observes and reports emotional stability of patient to physician/physician extender.
- Reviews lab and x-ray data, and notifies physician/physician extender of abnormal results.
- Develops and evaluates nursing patient care treatment plans, based on nursing diagnosis.
- May perform CLIA waived testing.
- Seeks to understand and incorporate both safe practices and evidence-based practices into daily nursing care.
- Directs and delegates nursing care based on patient acuity and staff competency that is consistent with the nurse’s obligation to provide optimum patient care.
- Performs resuscitative procedures.
- Performs diagnostic procedures.
- Documents care in EMR.
- Triage occurs via the telephone or through direct patient contact.
- Assesses patient complaints, and advises patients, according to established protocols.
- Directs patient to appropriate care area upon completion of triage evaluation.
- Refers patient to home health care and community agencies.
- Initiates social services and Home Health Care referrals.
- Resolves patient complaints, or refers complaint to appropriate others for resolution.
- Collaborates with other disciplines as necessary regarding patient condition.
- Collaborates with family and community resources for patient home care, upon direction or within a protocol.
- Participates in departmental/divisional Quality Assessment and Quality Improvement Programs.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory standards regarding practice, environment and documentation.
- Implements research using protocols developed by the governing institution.
- Collects data for research.
- Designs teaching materials or utilizes prepared materials to teach patients, according to established protocols.
- Enhances personal professional development through the review of current literature, attendance at educational programs, and participation in professional organizations.
- Provides education for staff, colleagues, patients, and /or families.
- Precepts new staff and students as requested.
- Provides and documents individualized patient and family education.
- Upholds goals, policies, procedures, and expectations of Henry Ford Medical Group (HFMG).
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, Quality Assurance Program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Supports the mission, vision, and values of HFMG.
- Performs other related duties as required.