Manages the operations of a patient care area(s) in the provision of nursing care to patients and their families. A transformation leader that directs the activities of patient care and support staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Manages and supports the day to day operations of assigned patient care area(s). Supervises all nurses and support staff including but not limited to Registered Nurses, Patient Care Assistants and Technicians, Health Unit Coordinators, and related clerical staff. Oversees the preparation of schedules, utilizing wage and flex staff as appropriate. Adjusts according to patient flow.
2) Accurately forecasts and manages budget for the unit and ensures that any expenditures are within the budget. Knowledge of related benchmarks, such as Paid hour per patient day and Worked hour per patient day.
3) Develops programs which address continuous quality improvement, system enhancement, streamlined processes, patience experience and overall nurse performance.
4) Ensures compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements specific to the unit supervised. Ensures that the highest quality nursing care is provided to patients and their families.
5) Develops and manages partnerships with clinicians, physicians and administrative counterparts to achieve common goals. Promotes integration of multidisciplinary work groups.
6) Manages recruitment, performance, team member engagement and retention activities of assigned staff.
7) Implement the UVA shared governance nursing model at the unit level ensuring shared decision making that affects nursing practice, quality improvement, professional develop.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing is required (e.g.: BSN, MSN). If only a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, achieving a Masters in Nursing or related field (e.g.: MHA, MBA, CNL, MPA) is required within 4 years.
Experience: At least 3 years of progressively more responsible experience as a registered nurse in a patient care environment required, five years preferred.
License/Certification: License to Practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia required. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required. Valid Virginia Driver’s license required for managers with responsibility operations in multiple locations.
Other Skills: Strong Communication skills both written and verbal, Critical Analysis, problem solving and prioritization/time management skills.
Beginning January 1, 2017, applicable certification is required for those who are hired into this role. Those who are hired without certification will be required to obtain applicable certification within two and a half years of the date of hire or transfer into the position.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Internal Number: 36350
About University of Virginia Health System
UVA Health System offers the best combination of professional opportunity and quality of life in the nation. Join our team, and you’ll be taking a step towards the kind of cases that will challenge you, inspire you and ultimately grow your career. You’ll become a member of an elite group of medical professionals known for dedication, commitment and excellence. You’ll also be stepping into a welcoming community where historic charm meets modern culture, music, food and vibrant nightlife.Sound too good to be true? Don’t take our word for it. U.S. News & World Report just named our hospital to its 2014-2015 “Best Hospitals” guide in seven specialties, and the U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research named Charlottesville “America’s Happiest City”.So if you work hard and play even harder, if you don’t back down from a challenge, if you desire to leave work every day knowing that what you did was the very best for your patients, your hospital and for yourself, then UVA is the place for you