Texas Oncology is searching for a Director, Laboratory Services. The Director, Laboratory Services oversees statewide laboratory operations; is accountable for the direction and organization of all lab services. Devises strategic initiatives and profitability through financial analysis. Provides strategic direction in the efficient, quality operation of lab services/operations; proposes new technologies, processes, policies, etc as appropriate. Advises the SVP of Operations and Executive Directors as needed in regard to the clinical needs, issues and policies for lab services. Recommends organizational objectives to assure quality patient testing. Provides financial analyses to assure profitability of labs as needed. Maintains overall responsibility for laboratory operations and activities for statewide lab services. Coordinates the work of our Regional Lab Managers; may include direct supervision of managers and/or staff * current lab staffing over 200 FTE*s. Supports and adheres to the US Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards Texas Oncology delivers high-quality, high-touch care to help cancer patients achieve "More breakthroughs. More victories."® in their fight against cancer. We are an independent, physician-led practice delivering leading-edge technology and treatment options and conducting innovative research. Founders of the practice pioneered community-based care to enable more cancer patients to receive high-quality care while staying close to the critical support of family and friends.
Texas Oncology has more than 150 sites of service throughout Texas, with more than 350 physicians dedicated to serving our patients. On average, we treat more than 50,000 new cancer patients each year, with documented growth year over year. Texas Oncology pioneered the concept of community-based, outpatient, multidisciplinary cancer centers. We give local communities access to leading-edge technology that was previously only available in larger metropolitan areas. Texas Breast Specialists and Texas Urology Specialists are a part of Texas Oncology. Texas Oncology is an affiliate of The U.S. Oncology Network, which is owned by McKesson Specialty Health, a division of McKesson Corporation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Directs the statewide operation of laboratory services, ensuring quality patient care and efficient operations. * In coordination with the Regional Lab Managers, develops/oversees statewide standardization of SOP*s, equipment recommendations/implementation, development of lab services, quality programs, etc. * Will coordinate efforts with the McKesson Specialty Health Director of Laboratory Services and other corporate resources to achieve optimal laboratory performance. Represents the practice on the Clinical Advisory Council. * Leads practice lab initiatives; develops/nurtures joint venture relationships; champion for overall business objectives as related to practice lab services/operations. * Oversees the clinical operations of all labs in the state; includes all facets of lab testing such as Quality Control, Quality Assurance and Proficiency Testing. * Directs the development of procedures and policies for Quality Assurance, Quality Control, and Proficiency Testing Reviews. * Working with the Regional Lab Managers, reviews all Quality Control, Quality Assurance, and Proficiency Testing for practice labs and develops action plans to address deficiencies. * Provides expert advice on state and federal regulations regarding laboratory operations and licensing; oversees compliance of statewide lab operations. * Oversees, evaluates, selects, and validates test methods. Directs the development of procedures and policies to be used throughout the practice. * Coordinates the development, preparation, and implementation of budgetary needs for laboratory services. Evaluates vendor bids for new laboratory equipment for financial feasibility, profitability, and use within our practice labs. Acts as liaison between vendors and corporate purchasing in the contracting process. * Performs cost analyses on major equipment being considered for purchase and advises the Executive Directors on the purchase decision. * Serves as liaison with reference labs and vendor customer service representative to assure the best possible service and pricing to all our practice labs. * In coordination with the Regional Lab Managers, evaluates qualifications of potential employees; interviews and hires as needed. Assures that all employees meet CLIA and COLA requirements for testing personnel. * Oversees development/implementation of appropriate training of laboratory personnel. Provides development and mentoring for Regional Lab Managers, and other staff as needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related science field. Minimum ten years experience in laboratory testing, including at least five years in a supervisory capacity. ASCP or equivalent certification required. Current state licensure. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, lab systems, and some EHR experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands of this job typically require full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination in operation and manipulation of complex laboratory equipment. Requires sitting/standing for extensive periods of time with the use of hands to finger, handle, or feel and arms to reach or carry. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 lbs. Requires corrected vision, color perception and hearing to normal range. Requires legible handwriting.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to direct contact with patients with potential for exposure to blood/body fluids, chemotherapeutic agents, or transmittable infections. Direct contact with corrosive chemicals, infectious agents, handling glassware, needles and open flames. Work will require occasional travel by air or automobile, approximately 40-50% of time.
The vision of Texas Oncology is to be the first choice for cancer care. We have high standards for patient satisfaction and offer exceptional value in cancer care. We also strive to advance clinical research and develop innovative approaches to treatment of oncology and hematology disorders.
The mission of Texas Oncology is to provide excellent, evidence-based care for each patient we serve, while advancing cancer care for tomorrow. To this end, we give patients access to the highest quality cancer care available today within their own local communities. Our cutting-edge technologies, treatments and research are offered in welcoming and comfortable environments. We maintain comprehensive quality oversight and responsible financial management. At all times, we pride ourselves in being moral, ethical and efficient as a medical practice and employer.
We extend an extremely competitive offering of benefits to employees, including Medical Health Care, Dental Care, Vision Plan, 401-k with a matching component, Life Insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability and Wellness & Perks Programs.
Come join our growing organization and enjoy knowing that you work for an organization dedicated to making the lives of others better.
The US Oncology Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Category: Administrative Post to: *HEC
The US Oncology Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Internal Number: MCKEA00877963
About US Oncology Network
The US Oncology Network believes local cancer care is better care. We empower the delivery of advanced integrated cancer care through our network of independent physicians who share expertise and resources to provide quality, value-based care close to home.
Our clinical and business support capabilities, expertise and industry-leading technologies keep local practices at the forefront of high quality, efficient care delivery while enabling practice success, quality of life and financial security for physicians.
- 25 years of oncology practice management expertise
- Leader in value-based cancer care with over 900 physicians participating in the Center for Medicaid and Medicare
- Innovation Oncology Care Model – one fourth of the entire population of physicians nationwide
- Over 1,400 affiliated physicians
- More than 450 cancer treatment center locations across the United States
- Over 995,000 patients treated annually