JOB SUMMARY: Supports the Registered Nurse in the provision of patient care, to include delivery of care, collection of assessment data, discharge planning and patient family education. The LPN works in close collaboration with the RN and the Health Care Team to evaluate the patient's plan of care and progress toward goal attainment. All patient care activities are undertaken with the delegation/supervision of a licensed professional. Requires competency for general clinic settings (inclusive to all VMG clinics)
PLANNING & MANAGING CARE
In accordance with the unit, VUMC standards and licensure regulations, under the supervision of a licensed care provider (RN, physician or dentist) uses and documents the nursing process to plan, deliver and evaluate goal-focused, individualized, safe, age-specific care for uncomplicated patients. Based on regulations from the TN Board of Nursing, LPNs have the following practice limitations: (1)May NOT initiate the administration of blood or blood products, (2)May NOT administer experimental drugs (research drugs used in studies for anything other than indications for use by the pharmaceutical company), (3)May NOT administer any intravenous chemotherapeutic agents, (4)May NOT administer IV push medication
Demonstrates accountability as an individual and team member in meeting basic patient/family needs.
With assistance, efficiently organizes delegated clinical assignment using human and other resources appropriately.
Understands importance of cost effective patient care.
Rounds with RN and HCT on assigned patients.
Identifies pertinent information needed by the HCT to move patients/families toward desired goals
Records objective data and specific interventions in the patient record
Initiates BLS as appropriate
CONTINUUM OF CARE PLANNING
Assures coordination of age-specific continuum of care planning for uncomplicated patients.
Assists in managing patient care activities to meet identified discharge goals.
Communicates, both verbally and in the patient record, the discharge plan of care
Implements individualized, age-specific teaching plans for uncomplicated patients.
Documents patient education in patient record
Ensures patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/her involvement in the plan of care and documents in patient record
Identifies patient problems and when goals are not met and reports variations to the supervising licensed care provider, seeking consultation as necessary.
Provides information directly to appropriate colleagues, seeking consultation as necessary.
COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
Communicates from one level or location of care and/or from one caregiver to another the significant aspects of care.
With assistance, collaborates with peers and members of the health care team.
With guidance from the Manager or preceptor, assumes responsibility for continuous learning, engaging in a minimum of 5 hours of education/self-development activities annually or pursing advancement of academic education.
With assistance, develops and achieves professional goals, as well as, action plans to promote professional growth.
Demonstrates awareness of quality improvement issues in clinical practice.
Floats to all general clinic settings areas as directed by the Clinical Staffing Resource Center (CSRC).
May be re-directed mid shift to other area by CSRC
May be utilized in specific roles or tasks as designated by the CSRC and/or clinic manager or designee.
Organizational Impact: Delivers projects/assignments that have a direct impact on goals/objectives of the unit/department that the job is in.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts extensive analysis of situations or data to resolve numerous, complex issues; may involve the input/work of others.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has in-depth level of knowledge within a professional area and working knowledge of other areas.
Team Interaction: May lead mid-sized projects; coaches and guides team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Internal Number: 1912567
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.