Currently, Regional Cancer Care Associates is actively recruiting a certified Oncology Nurse to join its expanding network of practices in our Toms River/Howell locations.
Responsible for providing primary care to patients, including assessment, treatment, care planning, patient education and medical care evaluation. The RN works to promote good health, prevent disease and help patients cope with their disease by providing advice and emotional support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Must demonstrate sound knowledge of the nursing processes; health care systems, structure, and functions; and community resources.
· Demonstrates understanding of healthcare technology, equipment and supplies.
· Demonstrates familiarity with state law on nursing care, nurse practice guidelines, and RCCA Central Jersey Division policies and procedures.
· Utilizes nursing judgment in the decision-making process when responding to patient calls and questions.
· Demonstrates critical thinking using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
· Performs assessment/data collection in an on-going and systematic manner, focusing on physiologic, psychological and cognitive status.
· Formulates goal directed plan of care, prioritized and based on determined nursing diagnosis and patient outcome.
· Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent and compassionate manner.
· Functions to establish priorities of patient care based on essential patient needs and available resources of time, personnel, equipment and supplies.
· Evaluates effectiveness of the care given by all healthcare team members. This includes environmental factors and instrumentation in progression of the patient toward outcomes.
· Demonstrates a sound knowledge of the ONS and OSHA guidelines.
· IV therapy techniques reflect a sound knowledge base of the principles of practice.
· Chemotherapy administration techniques reflect a sound knowledge base of the principles of practice
· Demonstrates knowledge of medical record documentation requirements and federal/state laws related to release of health care information.
· Maintains and demonstrates knowledge of telephone-based clinical assessment techniques.
· Demonstrates knowledge of medical practice telephone triage protocols.
· Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate home health information to follow until a visit with the physician, if they do not need immediate hospitalization.
· RNs should be familiar with the most common side effects of each drug they are administering. They should as the patient if they are experiencing any of these specific side effects before administering subsequent cycles of the drug.
· Demonstrates competency in physical assessment of oncology and hematology patients.
· Demonstrates competency in all aspects of chemotherapy administration, monoclonal antibody therapy, IV therapy, subcutaneous and intramuscular injection administration.
· Knowledgeable and practices within the ONS guidelines during any adverse event while administering chemotherapy, i.e. extravasations, infiltrations or chemotherapy spill incidents.
· Demonstrates competency in the use of all intravenous access devices, including the intra-hepatic infusion pumps.
· Must demonstrate proficiency in performing all laboratory testing on site, including documentation and QC.
· Obtain blood specimens for analysis by finger stick or venipuncture depending on the specific test ordered
· Review all specimens for acceptability.
· Educate patients in the proper technique for collection of midstream urine samples for culture.
· Collects specimens for culture using sterile technique for blood cultures, throat cultures, sputum cultures or superficial wound cultures.
· Instructs patients in the proper collection of twenty-four-hour urines. Verifies that the containers contain the proper preservative and instruct the patient in refrigeration or acid precautions if appropriate.
· Performs daily Quality Control (QC) on the Hematology Analyzer Instrument including start-up, reagent check and analysis of three levels of Commercial Quality Control material.
· Maintains documentation of the results in the Hematology QC log book or smart card.
· Investigate all out of range results and document the corrective action taken.
· Disposes all biohazard waste according to OSHA standards.
· Perform an instrument check on the Coagulation Instrument prior to use. Maintains documentation of all results.
· Perform an instrument check on the Glucose Instrument prior to use. Maintains documentation of all results.
· Perform Urinalysis Quality Control if a Urinalysis is performed. Maintains documentation of all results.
We offer an excellent salary and benefits.
Internal Number: ON1
About Regional Cancer Care Associates
At Regional Cancer Care Associates, our commitment is to doing what will be most effective at helping you win your fight. We offer the most advanced treatments, including breakthroughs like immunotherapy and targeted therapy. Our highly trained, capable and experienced oncologists provide the highest-quality care. Most importantly, we focus on your individual needs.Although we’re one of the nation’s largest cancer physician networks, we take a uniquely personal, community-based approach to your care. We treat you with genuine compassion in a welcoming, comfortable setting. With more than 30 local offices in New Jersey, Maryland and Connecticut, we offer you convenience, accessibility and the ability to see the same doctor. What’s more, everything we do is centered around your best interests and optimal health.