Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Registered Nurse is a member of an interdisciplinary care team. This role provides patient centric care and is primarily responsible for nursing assessment and diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Performs comprehensive initial assessment of patient, family and caregiver
- Performs ongoing assessment of patient, family and caregiver as patient progresses through Transplant process
- Monitors patient response to therapies, including lab values and symptom assessment, in collaboration with the medical, nutrition and pharmacy staff
- Provides psychosocial support to patients and families
- Functions as resource for rotating physician staff regarding standard practice and operations in the clinic
- Reviews all orders written by the medical staff
- Communicates hospital admissions to the Charge RN
- Coordinate home infusions provided by outside Home Infusion agencies after initial referral by Transition RNs
- Provide continuity of nursing care by communicating effectively with Charge, Evening, Weekend, Infusion
- Room, Procedure, Triage, and Inpatient RN's
- Documents all assessments, teaching, response to therapies and plans of care in a timely manner
- Keeps patient Kardex up to date
- Functions as primary telephone contact for patients and their caregivers
- Participates with all disciplines in daily rounds to plan and coordinate patient care
Patient and Caregiver Teaching:
- Provides initial education and Clinic orientation. Reviews Patient Resource Manual with patient and family at arrival visit
- Assumes primary responsibility for chemotherapy teaching with patients and caregivers
- Assumes primary responsibility for patient education regarding medications and therapies, including home infusions
- Assumes primary responsibility for patient education regarding symptom management
- Assumes primary responsibility for departure teaching when patient is leaving the Acute Transplant Program
Support for Research:
- Acts as patient advocate in coordination of research consent forms
- Assists in obtaining research data in conjunction with patient care data
- Maintains a working knowledge of current protocols related to the patient population with whom they work. Knows research resources and how to access
Communication and Teamwork:
- Participates in Committees and Task Forces to review and improve current standards
- Serves as a resource to other nurses caring for patients undergoing BMT transplant
- Flexible in incorporating patient care outside own team assignment to assist with patient care needs in other areas of clinic
- Informs Nurse Manager of high-risk patient situations or operational issues
- Communicates in a respectful and effective manner with other staff
- Demonstrates appropriate problem solving when working with other departments
Maintaining And Developing Own Skills:
- Participates in continuing education programs
- Keeps current in area of expertise through journals, books, and conferences
- Regular attendance and punctuality are essential functions of this job in order to carry out the primary responsibilities.
- Nursing degree
- Current Washington State nursing license.
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
- Additional certification may be required dependent upon department.
- Critical thinking; the ability to practice the cognitive skills of analyzing, applying standards, discriminating, information seeking, logical reasoning, predicting, and transforming knowledge
- Ability to develop clinical judgment.
- Time Management skills; the ability to organize and manage time and tasks independently
- Ability to communicate effectively by looking and listening for cues, asking open-ended questions, exploring cues, using pauses, screening responses, and clarifying response.
- Ability to effectively listen by using reflecting, acknowledging, summarizing, empathizing, and paraphrasing skill.
- Ability to effectively provide information by checking what information the person knows already, giving small amounts of information at a time, using clear terms and avoiding jargon, avoiding detail unless it is requested, checking for understanding, and pausing and waiting for a response.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Two years of nursing experience
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment. A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $44.48 to $84.51 ,which includes the per diem differential. Pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications. Registered Nurses are paid on a step-scale basis and are also eligible for shift differentials and other pay premiums such as advanced degree, preceptor and certification.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees access to a retirement savings plan, an employee assistance program, and paid sick leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.