Advanced Practice Practitioner, Vanderbilt Breast Center
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Internal Number: 2206399
The Division of Surgical Oncology, within the Department of Surgery and the Section of Surgical Sciences at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, encompasses several multidisciplinary disease management programs including Breast Diseases, Melanoma and Cutaneous Malignancies, Sarcoma and Soft Tissue Tumors, Gastrointestinal Malignancies, and Endocrine Disorders. We are committed to providing the best in patient care. To further support our programs, we seek a specialty nurse practitioner (NP) in the ambulatory care setting to work as a part of an integrated multidisciplinary health care team.
The specialty clinic NP works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team to manage a distinct patient population with an emphasis on Breast Diseases, both benign and malignant, in the outpatient setting. To further support an integrated approach to breast health care, the NP may also be involved in the coordination of care across the care continuum including pre and postoperative periods, inpatient care, discharge/outpatient follow up, and long term management.
The specialty clinic NP has a strong foundation in evidenced based practice/education and will provide recommendations and serve as a resource for the development of patient care standards, clinical decision-making, protocols and procedures related to nursing practices, and an environment of safe quality care in the Breast Program. The NP demonstrates an advanced level of medical and nursing knowledge, clinical/technical competence, sound clinical judgment, professional communication skills, timely and compliant documentation, quality improvement and responsible for professional development and competency validation. The NP will also exhibit strong customer service skills during all interactions with patients, referring providers, and colleagues.
1. Obtain patient histories, perform physical examinations and identify normal and abnormal finding and develop an appropriate treatment plan.
2. Evaluate and manage acute problems and changes in status.
3. Operationalize the patient's plan of care
4, Perform procedures related to scope of practice and clinical specialty.
5. Order and interpret diagnostic tests.
1. Provide leadership in planning, implementing, and evaluating new programs of care in addition to re-appraising and improving existing programs for the Breast Center./Program This includes research and quality assurance activities.
2. Provide consultation and education to medical students and resident, graduate nursing students, and support and nursing staff regarding patient care issues.
3. Provide patient education.
4. Utilize community resources and act as a liaison by relaying information necessary for continuity of care to other professionals and agencies.
1. Attend and participate in pertinent meetings associated with the Breast Program (tumor board, Operations and staff meetings, faculty meetings).
2. Review Standard of Care Practice guidelines at a minimum of once a year.
Master's Degree (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year experience. 12 months of nursing experience preferred; Inpatient acute care advanced practice nursing experience desirable.
Prefer National Specialty Board Certification, TN APN certificate/certificate of fitness to prescribe, eligible for DEA
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.